The Merrick Before/After School Program (BASP) has been providing quality School-Age Child Care service to the children and parents in the Merrick U.F.S.D since September 1982.
We are a private, not-for profit organization governed by a parent Board of Directors. We are financially self-supporting and licensed by the New York State Office of Children & Family Services for Kindergarten through 6th grade students on all full school days (see District school calendar). TOP
Before School Programs are offered at each of the three elementary schools in our school district at Birch, Chatterton and Levy-Lakeside from 7:00 a.m. until the start of the school day.
The After School Program is offered at each of the three elementary schools in the Merrick UFSD: Birch, Chatterton & Norman J. Levy-Lakeside. The program is offered from 2:55 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Parents pick up their children from the Afterschool Program at Birch, Chatterton, or Norman J. Levy-Lakeside no later than 6 p.m. TOP
The mission of the Merrick Before/After School Program is to provide affordable, high-quality school-age child care to meet the developmental needs of elementary school children when they are not in school and when their parents are at work. TOP
1. To create a
relaxed, trusting, intimate atmosphere where children are encouraged
to pursue their own interests, develop friendships, and grow in confidence,
independence, and respect for themselves and each other.
3. To create a
stable environment that is safe, inviting, comfortable, attractive,
orderly, manageable by the children, and a happy place to be.
5. To frame a schedule that allows children time for each child to observe, to reflect and to become absorbed in activities according to his/her own interests and talents. TOP
Goals for Parents:
1. To provide affordable school-age child care for the children of working Merrick parents in our Before School Program ( 7:00 a.m. - 8:40 a.m.) and also the After School Program ( 2:55 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.) when day school is in session (see calendar).
2. To assure parents that their children will be in a safe, healthy, school environment where their emotional, social and physical needs will be met.
3. To provide a quality program complementary to the school experiences of their children.
4. To provide two-way communication between parents and the Before/After School Program: to ensure that parents are always well informed about the program and their children's experiences here; and to ensure that staff are well informed about the children's home experiences and family values so that parents and staff can work as partners in meeting the needs of the children. TOP
8 good reasons why the Merrick Before/After School Program is an excellent choice for your child:
1. Children receive excellent adult supervision in a safe school environment
2. Children have opportunities to socialize and play with other youngsters.
3. Our Merrick U.F.S.D. school buildings, where children spend most of their day, are a familiar place to conduct our school-age child care programs.
4. Afterschool program staff have access to your child's regular teachers, nurse and other support staff as needed for consultation.
5. Our school-based sites meet all NYS specifications for safety and health standards.
6. Children are supervised by qualified staff who are also required to participate in mandated staff development training.
7. The Merick Before/After School Program (BASP) is a non-profit educational organization and every effort is made to keep our tuition rates affordable.
8. Indoor and outdoor play, snacks, organized enrichment activities, supervised homework periods, and a quiet period to rest, draw, read or write is provided for students after a hectic, fast-paced day at school.